Zendaya Receives First Emmy NominationBy Elysia J
Jul. 28 2020, Published 1:12 p.m. ET
Actress Zendaya has received her first Emmy nomination. On Tuesday Leslie Jones announced the nominations for the 72nd Emmy Awards. Other celebrities joined her in video call to help reveal the names and shows. Among them was Zendaya. She received a nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Rue Bennett in Euphoria. The series is an adaptation of an Israeli show by the same name. It follows 17-year-old Rue, a drug addict only recently out of rehab and her troubled circle of friends.
The series received wide critical acclaim and viewer praise. It currently has an 82 percent critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and an 84 percent audience score. Fans and critics alike were impressed by Zendaya’s performance, which stood out against her more family friendly roles.
She is up against strong competition on her category. The other nominees are…
- Jennifer Anniston as Alex Levy in The Morning Show.
- Oliva Colemen as Queen Elizabeth the 2nd in The Crown
- Jodie Comer as Villanelle in Killing Eve
- Sandra Oh as Eve Polastri in Killing Eve.
Other notable highlights in the nominations include HBO’s Watchmen.
The comic- book adaptation is the star of the show with a whopping 26 nominations. The nominations include…
- Outstanding Limited Series
- Regina King for Outstanding Lead Actress in a limited series or TV movie
- Jeremy Irons for Outstanding Lead Actor in a limited series or TV movie
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a limited series or TV Movie
- Jovan Adepo for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a limited series or TV Movie
- Louis Gossett Jr for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a limited series or TV Movie
- Jean Smart for for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a limited series or TV Movie
The ceremony is set to take place on Sunday, September 20. The organizers have not yet confirmed how the ceremony will adapt to COVID-19. Jimmy Kimmel will host the event in whatever form it takes.