Remember back in the day when you would listen to your favorite artist on a Walkman, or buy a vinyl from the music store down the block? How about those flare jeans and a cropped tank top and platform sneakers? Teenagers today won’t know what it felt like to line up at the store to get the latest NSYNC album or wait for Britney Spears’s new song to debut on the radio. There wasn’t any Netflix back then, only Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, the OG Disney Channel, MTV Cribs, and MTV’s TRL. Nothing will ever compare to the good old days, not even viral YouTube cat videos.
Let’s take a trip down memory lane and list the never forgotten music, TV shows, movies, and moments that the 1990s blessed us with. If you were alive to live through it, consider yourself a legend.
1. MTV TRL: Before Spotify, iTunes, or Pandora, we had MTV TRL. The latest and greatest artists of the 90s would be live in Times Square for interviews and performances. Lucky fans were able to witness when Destiny’s Child said their goodbyes, Lindsay Lohan perform, and many more iconic moments.
2. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York : The good times when Donald Trump directed Kevin McCallister to the lobby, instead of directing the fate of the country.
3. Cartoon Network: Everything from Scooby-Doo to The Power Puff Girls kept you entertained day and night.
4. Disney Classics: Before Frozen, we had: Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan and The Lion King.
5. Email = Old School Texting: iMessage? Viber? WhatsApp? Back then, the sound of AOL’s sent mail was similar to an iMessage being sent.
6. Big and Curly Hair! : Everyone you know had that big do! Celebrities, friends, aunts, and even your momma!
7. Michael Jackson: The King of Pop was releasing fire songs and albums one after the other. His music videos will always be classics that kids today can appreciate!
8. MC Hammer Pants: Enough said.
9. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air song: When the opening credits of the show came on, every 90s teen in their household would jump on the couch and belt this one out.
10. NSYNC: One Direction who? NSYNC were the OG boy band that every girl would run down the street for.
11. Biggie and Tupac: We had rappers that talked about the reality of life: feeding your family on welfare, teenage girls becoming hookers to help with the bills, and men taking odd jobs to su